Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Sonia Sanchez

*
come windless invader
i am a carnival of
stars a poem of blood.

*
i dreamt i was tangoing with
you, you held me so close
we were like the singing coming off the drums.
you made me squeeze muscles
lean back on the sound
of corpuscles sliding in blood.
i heard my thighs singing.

*
you too slippery
for me. can't hold you long or
hard. not enough nites.

*
i thought about you
the pain of not having
you cruising my bones.
no morning saliva smiles this
frantic fugue about no you.

*
1.
i am dreaming
i have spread my dreams out like wings.
i have selected today a dream
about flying and i take off
sailing on your blue smile.
for today it is enough.
2.
all this year
i have heard
my pores
opening.
3.
i have told
you my name
so there is
tomorrow.
4.
see me through
your own eyes
i am here.
5.
let us be one with
the earth expelling anger
spirit unbroken.
6.
we are
only
passing
through let
us touch.
7.
come again inside
me let us take another
turn at loving.
8.
i hear your smell
running across my threshold.
shall i hold your breath?

*
I gather up
each sound
you left behind
and stretch them
on our bed.
each night
I breathe you
and become high.

1 comment:

  1. Oh gosh... I bought a Sonia Sanchez book back in the day and it had this poem in it and there is one part that always gets me, everytime. It makes me sad & wistful and makes me long for an old love of mine of whom time, space and life forever have us on different paths. Everytime I read it, I think about him:


    "i thought about you
    the pain of not having
    you cruising my bones.
    no morning saliva smiles this
    frantic fugue about no you."

    ReplyDelete